Where Are They Now: Evanna Lynch
At 11 years old, a young girl suffering from anorexia found refuge with the series while going through a recovery program.
Hospitalized at the time and disappointed she might miss the release of the fifth book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Lynch was temporarily released the morning of the book launch to retrieve a copy. Sending letters to the prestigious author was a way of effectively sharing her mind about the series and how much she loved the characters. Lynch showed up at the local book store, dressed in Harry Potter garb; a lightning bolt on her forehead, wearing replica glasses, painted nail polish, and surprisingly retrieved a hand-signed copy of the book.
Rowling aiding as a counselor replied to Lynch's letters, saying that an eating disorder was "destructive, not creative" and that if she continued forward with recovery, one day she could try out for a role in the films.
In 2006, Lynch's father took Lynch from Ireland to London to audition for an outspoken and quirky Hogwarts student named Luna Lovegood. Out of the 15,000 girls that auditioned, Lynch was screen tested against Daniel Radcliffe and was chosen for the role. At age 14, Lynch made the dream of so many fans a reality and was cast as a character.
Lynch appeared in the Harry Potter films: Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Deathly Hallows Part 2. Since the series ending Lynch continues to support the fandom and series at conventions attending such events as LeakyCon and had made appearances in parody series, A Very Potter Senior Year.
Talented, witty, artistic, and very much like Luna, inhibiting a personality all of her own, Lynch has gone on to star in both stage and television productions - continuing her great work as an actress. Just as Luna Lovegood has served an inspiration to countless fans and Evanna Lynch herself, Lynch has undoubtedly served as an inspiration of strength as well.
11 Fun Facts:
- Michael Jackson, Regina Spektor, and Ella Fitzgerald are some of her favorite musicians
- She was given a necklace with a hare and moon pendant by J.K. Rowling.
- Is well versed in French and Gaelic
- Loves street dancing and jazz
- A major cat lover, she's named them after Harry Potter characters such as Luna, Dumbledore, and Crookshanks
- Dumbledore's quotes were once painted on her bedroom wall
- Created the dance moves for the wedding scene in Deathly Hallows Part 1
- Her favorite prop of Luna's was the lion hat she wears in Half Blood Prince
- She used to make her own versions of Quibblers with puzzles to do
- Was asked to help design the Luna Lovegood house in Deathly Hallows Part 1 but declined because she was attending school at the time
- Enjoys films directed by Tim Burton
- Once "cosplayed" as The Hunger Games main character, Katniss Everdeen