The universe of Harry Potter is replete with magical spells, cast for protection, illumination, and practice at Hogwarts. Ever wondered how many spells were used throughout the film franchise and which ones reign supreme? The findings may astonish even the most ardent Harry Potter fans!
One might assume that the iconic spell ‘Expelliarmus’ would rank as the most frequently cast, given its pivotal role in the Battle of Hogwarts. Surprisingly, however, it ranks lower on the list, debunking popular belief. But then which ones hold the top positions? Let’s delve in!
The methodology involved a comprehensive re-watch of all the movies, taking careful note of each spell cast. Non-verbal spells were identified based on the charm’s color, context, reaction, and correlation to the books. Admittedly, a few slipped through, especially in the larger battles. It’s challenging to maintain a precise count during intense scenes involving multiple characters casting spells simultaneously. Nevertheless, approximately 95% of the spells were documented, providing a thorough representation of the magical occurrences in the films.
Here are the ten most commonly used spells in the Harry Potter films:
- Shield Penetration Spell: Though its incantation remains unknown, this spell tops the list with 617 uses, primarily during the attacks on Hogwarts by Voldemort and his army.
- Dark Mark Counter-Curse: Unique to a single scene in “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”, this unidentified spell, cast 467 times, tried to eliminate Voldemort’s mark in the sky.
- Wingardium Leviosa: Recalled fondly for the spat between Ron and Hermione, this levitating spell ranks third with 229 uses across the eight movies.
- Stupefy: Frequently used by Harry to incapacitate his adversaries, this spell was predominantly deployed in battles, making it difficult to provide an exact count due to its common non-verbal usage.
- Protego | Protego Maxima | Fianto Duri | Repello Inimicum: Essentially variants of the same spell, they were used 147 times to create protective barriers, particularly notable in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.”
- Avada Kedavra: The unforgivable curse, cast approximately 114 times, inflicted immense sorrow as it took the lives of beloved characters.
- Lumos/Lumos Maxima: The light-providing spell ‘Lumos’ was used 38 times, offering solace in times of darkness.
- Expelliarmus: Harry’s signature spell, used 36 times, proved most powerful in the final showdown with Voldemort.
- Expecto Patronum: A complex spell for students to master, it was cast 17 times, mostly by members of Dumbledore’s Army.
- Fire Creating Spell: Cast 14 times by Professor McGonagall in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” to defend Harry, its incantation remains unknown.
We hope this infographic about the most frequently cast spells throughout the Harry Potter films piqued your interest.